Michael A. McDougal is a member of the Texas Bar, practicing Criminal Law in Montgomery County, Texas.
In May, 1971, I graduated from Southern Methodist University Law School and passed the Texas Bar Examination in July, 1971. I was sworn in as a Texas lawyer in October, 1971. I then opened my own office as a criminal defense solo practitioner (along with my secretary/wife) in Dallas, Texas, and tried my first criminal case, a murder case, in November, 1971. I was a criminal trial lawyer in Dallas until 1975, at which time I moved to Hempstead, Texas, to assist my father in his steel-manufacturing business.
In November of 1977, I had my first experience as a prosecutor when I joined the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office and was assigned as the lead assistant prosecutor for Waller, San Jacinto, and Polk counties, which were then a part of the District Attorney’s Office for the 9th Judicial District of Texas. In this capacity, I conducted all Grand Jury proceedings and trials for those 3 counties, often by myself.
In March, 1979, I decided to leave my position as assistant district attorney to open, once again, my own office as a criminal defense solo practitioner. From that time until I had the privilege of being elected this county’s district attorney, I proudly represented the citizens of this county who were charged with violations of the criminal law. I have not kept a record of all the jury trials, pleas, and appeals I have been involved in, but I did become Board Certified in Criminal Law by the State Bar of Texas in 1980, and have tried every kind of case from shoplifting to capital murder, both as a criminal defense lawyer and as your district attorney. I served as the District Attorney of Montgomery County from 1997 to 2008, and I am returning to my roots as a criminal defense lawyer and welcome the opportunity to be of service to you.
Service to the Community
Community service, in my opinion, is the barometer for gauging an individual’s dedication to those he works for and with. I believe that my service to Montgomery County, outside the duties of my office, has enabled me to see every issue now confronting us and has allowed me to associate with and receive input from community leaders from New Caney/Porter/Splendora, The Woodlands, Magnolia, Montgomery, Willis and Conroe; this provides perspectives that allows me to better understand just what my county’s needs and demands are. I am proud to serve Montgomery County in the following capacities:
- Montgomery County Fair Association (10+ year buyer)
- Cattlebarons Ball (Silent Auction Committee)
- Montgomery County Republican Party (3-time State Convention Delegate)
- Conroe Youth Soccer/Rush Soccer (youth coach since 1980)
- Rotary Club of Lake Conroe (Past Community Service Chairman and recipient of the Service Award for Professional Excellence)
- Conroe/Lake Conroe Chamber of Commerce (legislative committee)
- Auntie Litter
- Bridgewood Farms (past director and chairman of 4th of July bicycle ride)
- Montgomery County Youth Services (Development Committee)
- Conroe YMCA (Board of Directors)
- United Way of Montgomery County (Group Leader)
- East County Concerned Citizens
- First Bank of Conroe (speaker for Junior Board of Directors)